Traffic Supervisor Schedule
First Street School Entrance- 7:45-8:15
Upham & Ashcroft- 7:45-8:15
Morning School Line Up
all grades line up on the blacktop of the school playground.
Teachers are on duty at 8:05AM and students enter building at 8:10AM.
- Students in grades K & 1 line up and enter through the back playground door (door #5.)
- Students in grades 2-5 line up and enter through the First Street door (door #1.)
The student day begins at 8:15AM, and all doors are locked at that time. Students or parents who arrive after 8:15 may enter only through the main office door (walkway from First Street – door #12.) Students are considered tardy at 8:16AM and will be required to sign-in. However, due to security purposes, parents may not escort their child to his/her classroom.
Walking to School
Please be safe and use common sense: use the sidewalks around the school, follow directions from the crossing guard(s), and do not cut through the faculty parking lot.
Bicycling to School
Please use bike safety rules as an internet resource with a great deal of useful information. All students riding to school must wear a helmet. Bicycles should be stored in the bike rack while students are in school, and the bicycle should be walked while on school grounds.
Drop Off by Vehicle
Students should be able to exit the vehicle independently and drivers should not leave, or park, their vehicle in the “Drop Off Zone”. Please also take care to be considerate of our neighbors and their driveway space.
- Treat Ashcroft Street as a one-way coming in from Upham Street.
- The “Drop Off Zone” is along the First Street sidewalk from the corner of Ashcroft Street up to the front entrance of the school.
- Use the full length of the “Drop Off Zone”, pull as far down as possible, and maintain the flow of traffic.
- Students should exit through the passenger side, and move quickly out of the vehicle. Please say your good-byes ahead of time.
- Exit carefully back into the traffic flow of First Street.
Parking During Drop Off
Parking is allowed on Ashcroft Street (facing Upham St.) or on First Street past the “Drop Off Zone” (facing Lebanon St.) Please do not park in the faculty lot or in the playground. The Melrose Police will ticket cars that are parked illegally (facing the wrong direction, on crosswalks, at street corners, blocking driveways/fire hydrants, etc.)
School is dismissed at 2:22PM. Students in grades K & 1 exit through the back playground door (door #5) and students in grades 2-5 exit through the First St. door (door #1.) Students are not allowed back in the building without permission once they have been dismissed. Please be prompt when picking up your child.
K & 1 Parents should meet their child toward the back of the playground near door #5.
Grade 2-5 Parents should stand in the playground area or near the black wrought iron fence. Please be sure to leave the First Street door (door #1) clear from the school to the sidewalk.
Pick Up by Vehicle (Grades 2-5 only)
Please refer to Drop Off by Vehicle, above. Also, please do not sit in the “Pick Up Zone” waiting for your child. If you child is not visible, please circle the block.
Parking for Pick Up
See Parking During Drop Off, above.